Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Sketching in my A6 Monologue art journal

Since I resumed painting in acrylics and other media last November, my watercolor set has been quietly sleeping on the corner of my art desk. If you have followed my old blog and previous IG posts, you probably know that I was mostly into watercolor painting and sketching. When I relived my passion for art more than 2 years ago, the one medium that I chose to 'master' was the watercolor. For the simple reason that it's handy and easier to work with. (I'm a busy work-at-home mom, you see...) But late last year, I decided that perhaps I can already dabble into my dream of doing mixed-media artwork. My kids now know better not to play with Mama's acrylics and brushes, and they are now willing to give me 30 to 60 minutes of art time on a fine day. So I kept doing all these mixed-media paintings and art journal pages... Until I found myself at my art desk 4 days before Christmas, yearning to just sketch and wash. Yes, I've missed the good old stuff!


So I brought out my A6 Monologue sketchbook with gross-grained paper (a really good one for watercolor sketches), a pencil, and a drawing pen. I was stumped for a while and didn't know what to draw or paint. Then I saw my new tube of gesso and thought to use it as subject. It was midnight after all and there's just no way I could find a nice pot of flowers to sketch.  Might as well make do with whatever's there right in front of me. My husband bought the Reeves gesso for me earlier that day 'cause he knew I was badly running out of gesso. So sweet, right? 


To make this simple sketch, I just used the usual stuff in my watercolor kit: my Sakura Koi Pocket Field Sketchbox of 24 colors, an HB Faber-Castell Art GRIP pencil, a Zig Kuretake water brush with a large tip, and a black Faber-Castell Fine PITT Artist pen. I hope to make more watercolor sketches in the days and weeks to come. I find watercolor sketching very relaxing. It also helps me come up with quick studies for mixed-media paintings.

What have you been sketching lately?

5 comments:

  1. I have to admit it: I love painting in watercolor...! Watercolor sketches are easy to make and more important very fast to create! A simple way to nourish your love for art when you don't have too much time for art! ;)

    I love the gesso tube you've paint, at first I thought it's a toothpaste !! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, been using this gesso in a tube since last year. It's the only brand available here and I'm beginning to like it. I mean, gesso from tube. It seems more economical than the one in a tub. :)

      Delete
    2. We have all kinds of brands here, including Reeves, but I never tried that. I use Daler Rowney white gesso (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Daler-Rowney-500ml-Simply-Gesso/dp/B005EV3H1Y/): no smell, dries quickly, a miracle! ;) If ever, Stay away from Pabeo (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004CCZX36?), it really stinks and the smell is persistent even after it dries. If I flip my journal I can tell which pages have this gesso on!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the tip regarding Pebeo. You are right about the fumes, as the acrylic tubes that I have emit them too and they're not nice! I would love to try Daler Rowney gesso someday. There are other good brands at stores in the capital. I'll look into them when I get the chance.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Interweave Store