Pages

Friday, January 1, 2016

Learning How to Draw The 3/4 Profile

I am perpetually in awe of artists who can draw the human head from the 3/4 angle without so much effort. Drawing the 3/4 profile can be a bit of a challenge for me. And, as I've read through forums, many other artists deal with this dilemma too. Somehow it feels good to know that I'm not alone. Then again, I should never seek comfort in this knowledge every time. Getting out of my comfort zone and taking risks are necessary to further my growth as an artist. I may also suffer from embarrassment, I suppose. And that's totally fine by me.

Image copyright 2016: Connie Luayon

Anyway, while attempting to draw a new portrait one afternoon, my husband suggested that I draw one facing "the other way". I had to explain to him that drawing from the other 3/4 angle is a daunting task for me and this is why most of the faces I draw are facing my left. It's a lot easier that way. But then, at that moment, I decided to take his suggestion and drew a woman in a different 3/4 view. I started with the eyes and then the nose and lips and then the face outline, and so on and so forth. Was I happy with the result? Yes, surprisingly ... I was! 

The mixed-media painting that you see above was done in my A5 Artist's Loft sketchbook. I sketched the subject with the Inktense outliner. I used Koh-I-Noor Mondeluz watercolor pencils to color the skin and the clothes. I painted everything over with acrylics and lined the rest with Inktense pencils. The background elements and overlays are made with the help of clear stamps and rubber stamps and archival inks. 

For those who could use additional guide to drawing the head, I highly recommend Hogarth's Drawing the Human Head.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I think I also have a "side" of drawing and find it somehow difficult to use the other side. But it's great to try new approaches - isn't it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed. Challenges are there to help us improve and to get know ourselves more.

      Delete

Thanks for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Interweave Store